I picked a few of my favorite life lessons from Sam’s list. Some are paraphrased, some are as is, visit his blog for the full article.
Images by Justin W John
“DON’T SCREW PEOPLE AND DON’T BURN BRIDGES. PICK YOUR BATTLES CAREFULLY.”
by Sam Altman
April 28, 2015
1) Never put your family, friends, or significant other low on your priority list. Don’t lose touch with old friends. Occasionally stay up until the sun rises talking to people. Have parties.
2) Life is not a dress rehearsal—this is probably it. Make it count… …Negativity is really bad. Don’t let yourself make excuses for not doing the things you want to do.
6) Talk to people more. Read more long content and less tweets. Watch less TV. Spend less time on the Internet.
7) Don’t waste time. Most people waste most of their time, especially in business.
8) Don’t let yourself get pushed around. As Paul Graham once said to me, “People can become formidable, but it’s hard to predict who”.
12) Minimize your own cognitive load from distracting things that don’t really matter. It’s hard to overstate how important this is, and how bad most people are at it. Get rid of distractions in your life.
“Summers are the best.”
15) Don’t worry so much. Things in life are rarely as risky as they seem.
17) If you think you’re going to regret not doing something, you should probably do it.
18) Exercise. Eat well. Sleep. Get out into nature with some regularity.
19) Go out of your way to help people. Few things in life are as satisfying. Be nice to strangers. Be nice even when it doesn’t matter.
21) Tell your parents you love them more often. Go home and visit as often as you can.
23) Learn voraciously.
24) Do new things often. This seems to be really important.
26) Don’t screw people and don’t burn bridges. Pick your battles carefully.
30) Existential angst is part of life… …Nothing is wrong with you for feeling this way; you are not alone.
31) Be grateful and keep problems in perspective. Don’t complain too much.
32) Be a doer, not a talker.
34) Think for a few seconds before you act. Think for a few minutes if you’re angry.
35) Don’t judge other people too quickly. You never know their whole story and why they did or didn’t do something. Be empathetic.
36) The days are long but the decades are short.