The Ultimate Guide to Marketing Your Art on Instagram: Engagement Edition
By Clint Watson
BoldBrush/FASO Founder & Art Fanatic
The engagement strategy is designed to get your posts seen and to build your follower number. Instagram rewards engagement, so a good strategy to “tell” Instagram that you and your followers are engaged is essential. Failing to have an effective engagement strategy is where most people falter on Instagram.
There are three overall strategies here. Firstly is that you need to post frequently, a lot more frequently than you probably realize. Frequent posters are rewarded by Instagram and their posts are shown to more people. Secondly, you need other people to like and comment on your posts. Our strategy to ensure that happens is that you are going to create an “Instagram engagement group”. Thirdly, you need to be engaged by liking and commenting on other people’s posts and responding to comments and followers on your account.
- Form an Instagram engagement group as outlined below.
- Get with 5 or more other artists with similar or larger audiences and agree to like and comment on each other’s posts.
- This will increase the reach of your posts by greatly increasing the chance your post appears on the “explore page” of your colleagues followers.
- Post daily. Preferably at least 2 or 3 times. Instagram’s algorithm places you in one of three classifications: 1. A daily poster. 2. A person who posts a few times a week. 3. A person who posts rarely. You want to be in the 1st, “daily poster” category if you want your posts to be seen more broadly.
- You also want your 5 colleagues to be daily posters. You all need to be in the 1st, “daily poster” category
- If you know any artists with a large following, ask them to like your posts. It costs them nothing other than literally one-click and most will be happy to support a fellow artist in such a simple way. This has the potential to greatly increase the reach of your posts.
- Like and comment on other people’s posts. This makes YOUR posts more likely to be featured on the explore page because Instagram rewards engagement.
- When someone follows you, send them a direct message and thank them for following you, let them know what to expect from your page, and let them know to feel free to contact you if they ever have any questions. This will show that you are human and make them more likely to continue following you. It may open the door to other opportunities as well.